Mississippi State University Libraries Mississippi State University Mississippi State University

The architecture collections include blueprints, drawings, project files, photographs, and historical surveys and condition reports for a broad variety of structures across Mississippi, as well as elsewhere in the South.

For more information:

Jennifer McGillan, Coordinator of Manuscripts

   (662) 325-3071             jmcgillan@library.msstate.edu


Architectural drawings collection
MSS. 486. 1838-1981 and undated.

Drawings of various architects including: William Lampton Gill, Frank Lloyd Wright, Spencer and Powers, James T. Canizaro, C.H. Lindsley, Robert Parker Adams, S.J. Tuminello, Hugh H. Rather, H. N. Austin, and others. Searchable database of projects available. 48 architectural projects. Additions expected.

Biggs, Weir, Chastain architectural records
MSS. 448. 1946-1980 and undated. 86 cubic feet.

Records of the architectural firm of Biggs, Weir, Chastain (also Neal, Chandler and Chastain) of Jackson, Mississippi, include 391 projects in Mississippi, Louisiana and Arkansas. Firm principals include Thomas J. Biggs, Harry Edmiston Weir, Sydney William Chandler, Edward Ford Neal and James G. Chastain, III. Searchable database of projects available. See also Rosamond Architectural records for records of this firm. Records of Jackson, Mississippi architectural firm includes architectural drawings for many school buildings built during the "separate but equal period" after the Brown vs. Board of Education court ruling.

Birchett and Montgomery architectural records
MSS. 555. 1930-1976. 250 cubic feet.

Records of the Jackson, Mississippi, architectural firm of C. Raymond Birchett and John M. Montgomery including project files and architectural drawings. Includes records of 1196 projects, primarily in Mississippi, but also including 23 Louisiana projects. Thirty-two projects document Raymond Birchett's association with architect Frank P. Gates in the firm Gates and Birchett (1947-1953). Database of architectural projects is available.

Embree (Joan) papers
MSS. 612. circa 1901 (Bulk Dates: 1978-2004). circa 13 cubic feet.

Papers of MSU alumna and architectural historian, Joan Embree, formerly of Starkville. Included are historical surveys of Alabama and Mississippi towns, and material documenting the historic districts of Starkville and the history of Oktibbeha County. In process.

Episcopal Church of the Resurrection (Starkville, Mississippi) architectural drawings
MSS. 473. 0.08 cubic feet.

24 blueprint sheets of original church building and later additions.

Gates (Frank P.) architectural records
MSS. 659. 1906-1975 and undated. circa 22 cubic feet.

Records of Mississippi architect Frank P. Gates (1895-1975), who was born in Memphis, Tennessee, and graduated from Chicago Technical College in 1916. Gates practiced in Clarksdale (1917-1927) and Jackson, Mississippi (1928-1975). He practiced under the firm name Frank P. Gates Co., Architect and Frank P. Gates Co., Architects & Engineers, except for the period when he was a partner with Raymond Birchett in the firm Gates & Birchett, Jackson, Mississippi (ca. 1947-1953). Gates was a founder of the Mississippi Chapter, AIA.The records comprise 3000 drawings for 377 projects in 60 towns and small communities in Mississippi. The bulk of the projects are for Clarksdale (54 projects) and Jackson (158 projects). There are a few in Louisiana towns and one residence in Earle, Arkansas. Included are 156 residential projects, including conventional residences, plantation homes and apartment buildings and a subdivision plan. Among the 76 school and campus projects are Alcorn State, Jackson State and University of Mississippi buildings. The 88 commercial projects include banks, hotels, warehouses, hospitals, stores and other commercial buildings. The 52 public projects include courthouses (Tunica, Yazoo), city halls and jails, club and parks buildings, a fire station, power house, hospital and health center and the Mississippi State Office Building. The 28 religious buildings include churches and chapels, educational buildings and a camp. Rare finds among the drawings are two projects by other architects. Duling School (1927) in the Fondren area of Jackson, Mississippi was designed by architect Claude H. Lindsley. The Alcazar Hotel (1915) Clarksdale, Mississippi, was designed by Charles O. Pfeil of Memphis and was voted one of Mississippi's Ten Most Endangered Buildings in 2009. Other records included in the collection are certificates, some letters, publications and clippings documenting the career of Frank P. Gates and the buildings designed by him. Artifacts include inks, stamps and architectural tools used by Gates.

Godfrey-Bassett architectural records
MSS. 591. 1928- (Bulk Dates: 1955-2002).

Records of the Arthur J. Godfrey (b. 1922) and Robert Ross Bassett (1920-2007) firm with offices in Jackson, Vicksburg and Yazoo City. The firm later included principals Leslie Pitts (1922-1976), S. J. Tuminello (b. 1922), Ralph Maisel and E. Lantz Kuykendall. 636 projects have been identified to date.

Henry (William R. "Bob") architectural records
MSS. 675.

In process.

Hester (John) architectural records collection
MSS. 611. 1.2 cubic feet.

Architectural records representing the work of architect John Hester, including three projects of the John Hester and Associates firm, 3 projects of the Hester and Brady firm (B.A. Brady), and 7 projects of the R.W. Naef firm. Both Hester and Brady worked for the Naef firm. Also included are plans for the Merchants Bank and Trust Building, 200 E. Capitol Street, Jackson, Wyatt C. Hedrick, Inc. R.W. Naef did the renovation and addition to that building for Deposit Guaranty in 1957-58.

Hull (William S. and Emmett) architectural records
MSS. 556. 1889-1947. circa 20 cubic feet.

Records of the Jackson, Mississippi, architectural firm of William S. and Emmett Hull, including architectural drawings for more than 115 Mississippi projects. In process.

Jones (Thomas) letters
MSS. 215. 1954. 0.01 cubic feet: 2 items.

Correspondence between Thomas Jones of Johnston and Jones Architects-Engineers, of Starkville, Mississippi, and Orin Bullock, Supervisor of Architectural Research, Colonial Williamsburg, Williamsburg, Virginia, September 24 and October 1, 1954. Concerns details of Williamsburg houses.

Malvaney (Emmett) collection
MSS. 384. 1914-1928. 1 cubic foot.

Seven sets of architectural drawings and minutes of the Mississippi State Board of Architecture. The subjects of the drawings are courthouses in Walthall and Bolivar Counties, courthouse/jail in Humphreys County, buildings on the campuses of Millsaps College and Mississippi University for Women, hospital in Laurel, and ice company building in Jackson. The architects were H.N. Austin, Xavier Alexis Kramer, and Claude Henry Lindsley.

Mississippi architectural history collection
MSS. 670. 1 cubic foot.

Publications, Mississippi AIA membership applications (photocopies) and miscellaneous materials concerning Mississippi architects, arranged in subject files.

Naef (Robert William) architectural records
MSS. 559. 1927-1980 and undated.

Records of Jackson architect R.W. (Robert W.) Naef (1900-1974) including plans for 44 projects of the R.W. Naef Architect Engineers firm and 6 projects of the C.H. Lindsley Architect firm. Twenty-six of the projects are for Belhaven College, including the Lindsley projects. The remainder of the projects are for schools, colleges and universities, residences, and commercial projects. Includes The Work of R.W. Naef Volumes 1 and 2 with tipped in photographs, two photographs of University of Mississippi buildings and bound versions of the plans for the University of Mississippi and Millsaps College Libraries. A folder of plans and templates for P.W.A. public elementary schools (ca. 1930s) includes a page entitled "Design of Elementary Class Room, Senatobia School" by Hull and Drummond Architects. Collection also includes some books. Donated by the R.W. Naef estate through the School of Architecture in 1987. Addition received from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History in 1997.

Naef (Robert William) collection
MSS. 454.

Prospectus of some of R. W. Naef's Mississippi projects. In process.

Natchez Historical Society architectural drawings collection
MSS. 558. 3 cubic feet.

Architectural drawings of 51 Natchez buildings collected by the Natchez Historical Society. In process. List available.

Norwood (E. E.) architectural records
MSS. 540. 1950s-1970s.

Records of Jackson architect E. E. (Ellie Earl) Norwood (1901-1982), including projects of the E. E. Norwood firm and its successors, Hall and Norwood, Architects and Engineers (Frank E. Hall, Jr.), Norwood and Kenney (C. C. Kenney), and the C. C. Kenney firm. Collection contains ca. 443 projects, photographs, artifacts and a drawing table. Donated by the Norwood family.

Overstreet (N. W.) architectural records
MSS. 315. 1908-1973. circa 22 cubic feet.

Records of the Jackson, Mississippi, architectural firms of which the principal architect was Noah Webster Overstreet (1888-1973), 1908 MSU alumnus, and the first registered architect in Mississippi. Overstreet designed many buildings in Mississippi, Louisiana, and Tennessee throughout his long career. The bulk of the collection consists of architectural drawings and photographs of houses, churches, schools, businesses, and other structures. Also included are presentation drawings, working drawings and photographs for more than 500 projects, correspondence, rosters, clippings, resume, project list, autobiographical writing, thesis, videotape concerning Overstreet's career, the MSU class of 1908, which Overstreet served as president, and his relationship with political figures such as Stennis, Waller, and Johnson. Also included is a dissertation proposal concerning Overstreet and a reminiscence concerning Eastabuchie, Mississippi. The collection was donated by the family of N.W. Overstreet. Database of projects available.

Overstreet (Robert K.) architectural records collection
MSS. 577. 1915-1998 and undated. circa 10 cubic feet.

Records of San Francisco architect Robert K. Overstreet from his San Francisco practice and from the period when he worked in the office of his father, Jackson, Mississippi, architect N. W. Overstreet. Includes correspondence with his father and with influential architect and mentor, Bruce Goff; exhibit materials from the Mississippi Museum of Art exhibit 'Overstreet and Overstreet: A Legacy in Architecture'; books, articles and other publications.

Pearson (Wilbur B.) architectural records
MSS. 513. 1948-1985 and undated. 12 cubic feet.

Papers of architectural engineer and retired MSU faculty member Wilbur B. Pearson bulk with drawings for completed architectural projects, primarily in Lowndes, Oktibbeha and Clay Counties, Mississippi. Included are drawings and project files for 219 projects, including schools, churches, banks, fire stations, private residences and other public and private buildings. Database of projects and inventory of project files available.

Pitts (Leslie P.) architectural records collection
MSS. 560. 1915-1975 and undated.

Records of the architectural firms of William S. and Emmett Hull, Hull and Malvaney (Emmett Malvaney), Hull and Drummond (Eugene Drummond) and Godfrey, Bassett, Pitts and Tuminello, including 163 architectural drawings representing 76 Mississippi projects. Fifty-five projects are for Jackson residences, public and commercial buildings. The remainder are for various Mississippi buildings, including courthouses in Holmes, Lincoln, Simpson and Yazoo Counties. Given in memory of Leslie Pelham Pitts (b. 1922-1976), who worked for Hull and Malvaney and Godfrey, Bassett, Pitts and Tuminello, by Mrs. Leslie P. Pitts. Transferred from the Mississippi Department of Archives and History in 1997.

Rosamond architectural records collection
MSS. 541. 1927-2000 (Bulk Dates: 1946-2000).

Records of Columbus architect William I. Rosamond (1912-1973) and the successor firm of his son, William H. Rosamond. The firm also included architect Fred Harrison (1924-1981). Architects Mathew L. Virden (1930-1992) and Robert Ivy were later associated with the William H. Rosamond firm and brought drawings from other firms to the collection. Drawings for the firms of Virden and Fields (Greenville), Virden, Fields and Roberson and Virden, Fields and Alexander, Dean, Dale and Dean (Columbus office), Dean Dale, Dean and Ivy (Columbus office) and Biggs, Weir are included. Includes extensive project files, models and furniture. 1661 projects have been identified to date; 504 projects are associated with architect Mathew Virden. Donated by William H. Rosamond.

Welty (Edward J.) architectural records
MSS. 617. 1938-1967 and undated. circa 6 cubic feet.

Records of Jackson architect Edward J. Welty (1912-1966), brother of Eudora Welty, include designs for Jackson residences, including Carter and Fly subdivision designs, for which Welty won an award, and ten other residences. Nineteen projects consist of plans drawn by Welty for the R. W. Naef firm, including schools and the Mississippi State Sanitorium. Includes drawings and some project records.