Bureau of Buildings, MSU's Educational Building Corps
150,000 sq. ft.
90,000 sq. ft. (22 rooms on 3 floors)
Team leader & architect: Belinda Stewart Architects, PA
Electrical engineer: The Power Source, PLLC
Mechanical engineer: Engineering Resource Group, Inc.
Landscape architect: Debra Daws
Civil engineer: Pickering Firm, Inc.
Structural & parking: Timothy Haahs & Associates, Inc.
The Old Main Academic Center is a dynamic, energy-efficient classroom building that supports academic excellence and enhances the MSU experience. Designed with input from MSU faculty, OMAC's 22 rooms accommodate multiple teaching and learning styles and can be adapted for future learning environments.
The Center's design is reminiscent of MSU's legendary Old Main Dormitory, believed to be the United States' largest dormitory in its time.
The 150,000 sq. ft. building stands in a previously undeveloped area just north of the historic core of MSU, on the corner of George Perry Street and Barr Avenue, next to the Chapel of Memories.
The new building's architectural features include a grand staircase, two rotundas, a gallery, 14 study rooms, comfortable and flexible seating for casual study and interaction, and a Library Commons area outfitted with a 16-station computer lab.
Alumni and friends may leave a lasting mark on MSU by supporting the facility and permanently linking their names with its features. With gifts from $30,000 to $1 million, donors may name select areas and classrooms in honor or in memory of family members, friends, classmates or mentors.
Dr. Wolverton is a longtime professor of classics in the Department of Classical and Modern Languages. Dr. Wolverton earned a bachelor's degree in classics from Hanover College in 1948, and later added a master's from the University of Michigan and a doctorate from the University of North Carolina. He came to MSU in 1977 as Vice President of Academic Affairs. Over his long career, he has been a faculty member at the University of Georgia, Tufts University, and Florida State University; he has served as president of a small private college; and he has held administrative positions including department head and Dean of graduate studies. He was honored as a John Grisham Master Teacher in 1994, and as an Outstanding MSU Faculty Member by the Mississippi Legislature in 2007.
Turner Wingo of Collierville, TN is a general business alumnus (Class of 1967) who has enjoyed a successful career in retail. He was honored as the 2016 National Alumnus and the 2011 College of Business Alumnus. His contributions to MSU include those for the Turner A. Wingo Endowed Professorship in the College of Business, several scholarships, funds for various campus facilities, and support for athletics. He serves on the MSU Foundation's board of directors.
Classroom 1200 was renamed thanks to a gift by Susanne and David Purvis of Houston, Texas, in honor of Susanne’s parents. Catherine R. Boyd is professor emeritus of human sciences at MSU, and Leroy H. Boyd was professor emeritus of animal and dairy sciences.
Study Room 1120 was named in honor of Peyton and Elizabeth Nunnally by a gift made possible by their son John Nunnally, a 1963 electrical engineering graduate, his wife Marilyn, and their family of Marriottsville, Maryland. Peyton Nunnally worked at MSU from the 1950s until his retirement in 1965.
The first-floor Gallery was made possible by a gift from Louis Burns Brock. Louis Brock is a 1968 MSU general business administration graduate.