Mississippi State University was founded as Mississippi A&M College in 1878, with campus operations beginning in 1880, and has grown into the largest major university in Mississippi. The buildings pictured here were constructed during the early years of the University and represent a variety of architectural styles of the last 1800s and early 1900s. Several of the buildings are still standing and functional. Interiors have been remodeled, but exteriors look much the same as when they were constructed. Other buildings have been demolished to make room for larger, more structurally sound edifices. The remaining older buildings serve as a connection to the University's past.
Learn more about Mississippi State University's history:
The Industrial Education Building, also known as the "Twin Towers Building," is the oldest building on campus. Originally, it housed the textile school and was called the Textile Building. It was recently renovated and today houses the Instructional Systems and Workforce Development Department. It has been designated a National Historic Place and a Mississippi Landmark.
Named in honor of Professor R. C. Carpenter, this building was originally called the New Chemistry Building. Today it houses the Mechanical Engineering Department and classrooms. Carpenter Hall has been designated a Mississippi landmark.
Originally called the Engineering Building, it was eventually named for Dewey M. McCain, former head of Civil Engineering Department. Today it houses the administrative offices of the College of Engineering, the Engineering Graphics Department, and the Engineering and Industrial Research Station. It is designated a Mississippi Landmark.
George Hall was named for United States Senator James Z. George. Originally the campus infirmary, today it houses University Relations. It has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
Named in honor of Stephen D. Lee, the University's first president, this building has served as the academic, administration, and chapel building. Today it houses student affairs administrative offices, telecommunications offices, a copying center, and classrooms. It has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
Carpenter Hall, the new Chemistry Building, replaced this structure.
Originally called the Main Dormitory, this building was the first dormitory on campus, and was thought in its day to be the largest college dormitory in the United States. The first section was built in 1880, with additions in 1901, 1903, 1906, and 1922. Old Main was destroyed by fire on January 22, 1959; bricks salvaged from the fire were used to build the Chapel of Memories.
Once called the Scientific Building, it was later named the Montgomery Agricultural Hall, in honor of W. B. Montgomery, a member of the first Board of Trustees. Today it houses Counselor Education, Educational Psychology, and Disabled Student Support Services. It has been designated a National Historic Place and a Mississippi Landmark.
This building had several names: Administration, Chapel, College Building, and Old Administration Building. It originally housed the University chapel, administrative offices, and recitation rooms. The building was moved to several locations before being demolished in early 1912.
The cafeteria was recently named Perry Hall in honor of MSU alumnus George D. Perry and his wife Jane, who donated money for renovations. It has been designated as a Mississippi Landmark.
Built with the assistance of a grant from John D. Rockefeller, the YMCA Building was a central gathering place for students. Today it houses the Counseling Center and the MSU Post Office, and has been designated a Mississippi Landmark.
The building pictured is an example of the typical faculty house and administrative office building.