This exhibit is a photographic essay of life from 1880-1932 on the campus of Mississippi State University. The University was founded as Mississippi A&M College in 1878 and campus operations began in 1880. In 1932 the name was changed to Mississippi State College, and in 1958 to Mississippi State University.
Click an image to see a larger version.
MSU cadet corps and cadet band on drill field, ca. 1906. Note Mobile and Ohio passenger train in background. The railroad was eventually abandoned; the track through campus was torn up in 1967.
MSU Dramatic Club during the A&M days, ca. 1914.
Interior of George Hall, which during the early 1900s served as the campus clinic. This photograph was taken during a measles epidemic in 1904.
1915 photo of Maroon Band.
Chapel service in old administration building, 1909.
Inoculating short-horn cattle, early 1900s.
Meeting in dining room of first home built to house MSU presidents and their families.
Interior scene of library, 1901, located in Montgomery Hall at the time.
Interior photo of students rough-housing in a room of Old Main dormitory, ca. 1905.
Interior photo of cafeteria.
Summer class in Greenhouse, early 1900s.
Mobile and Ohio train entering campus, early 1900s.