The John J. Fraiser Collection is comprised of seven cubic feet of Judge Fraiser's papers, In addition, there are two cubic feet of small memorabilia items. Oversized memorabilia includes larger framed documents such as diplomas, trophies, and professional awards and plaques. There are two boxes of photographs spanning Judge Fraiser's years in WWII to his retirement from the Mississippi State Court of Appeals, along with a VCR recording of his Investiture ceremony into the COA. Finally, there are 40+ boxes of books, primarily law and code books, at off-site storage. The collection consists of photographs from every area of Judge Fraiser's political and judicial careers as well as some reproductions of some WWII photos. Other materials include extensive en banc records from the Mississippi Court of Appeals, correspondence, and news clippings dating back to the Civil Rights era.
Judge John J. Fraiser is a native of Minter City, Mississippi. He attended Mississippi State University and the University of Mississippi School of Law, from which he received a Juris Doctorate in 1948. He is a veteran of World War II. His political career began when he was elected county prosecutor of LeFlore County, a position he held for 20 years, and he also practiced law in Greenwood privately for over 40 years.
In 1976, he was elected to the Mississippi State Senate, where he served until 1983 as vice chairman of the Judiciary Committee and chairman of the Universities and Colleges Committee, the Judiciary Subcommittee on Governmental Affairs, and the Appropriations Subcommittee on Institutions of Higher Learning. Later, he became the first chief judge of the Mississippi Court of Appeals and a magistrate of the Mississippi Supreme Court. He retired from judgeship in 1997.