Strategic Plan 2013-2017
The Mississippi State University Libraries strives to provide exceptional resources, services and facilities to MSU faculty, staff and students as well as the broader community throughout the State of Mississippi and the Southeast. Recognizing that Mississippi State University is a comprehensive research University and a Land-Grant University, the MSU Libraries develops its collections, services and facilities to meet the growing needs of its constituencies.
To guide the Libraries and to ensure the enhancement and growth of the program, the Library administration and Library faculty and staff developed a Strategic Plan to chart a course for the next five years. The Strategic Plan provides the direction and the vision for the Libraries and takes into account the current and anticipated trends in academic research libraries.
Mississippi State University Libraries will continue to be the premier research library for an information-rich academic and research environment by providing its communities of users an ongoing, creative, technologically advanced library program that provides new and emerging technologies; enhances and inspires teaching, research, and service of the highest caliber in an environment of free and open inquiry and with a commitment to excellence.
The mission of Mississippi State University Libraries, a comprehensive research library, supports the University's mission and the land-grant research tradition by providing essential services and collections for its user communities: collecting, managing, curating, ensuring access to, and facilitating analysis and use of scholarly information and technology necessary for excellent teaching, research, and service. MSU Libraries are committed to instilling among its user communities the principles of effective and appropriate information literacy and the ideals of diversity, citizenship, leadership, and service.
- Foster Teaching and Learning: Support the University's goal of fostering teaching and learning by preparing students for their professional and personal lives by providing specialized information and digital literacy services that enhance and augment their educational and scholarly opportunities.
- Support Research: Enhance the Libraries' support of research and advance scholarly communication initiatives by enhancing existing services, developing additional services and collections, and establishing cross-departmental collaborative endeavors.
- Acquire, Process, Preserve, and Provide Access to Collections: Acquire, process, preserve, and provide access to and discovery of traditional, non-traditional, and premier collections (regardless of format) which support the teaching and research needs of the University's user communities.
- Maintain and Enhance a Robust Technological Infrastructure: Maintain and enhance a robust technological infrastructure conducive to the evolving needs of the Libraries' user communities and providing increased flexibility in the access and delivery of information, resources, and collections.
- Expand Outreach Opportunities (public engagement): Following the University's core mission of teaching, research, and service and as a land-grant institution, the Libraries will expand outreach opportunities and activities to the University community and beyond by establishing and fostering existing and additional relationships and partnerships with university and non-university groups.
- Transform Facilities into Advanced Learning Spaces: Continue to transform the Libraries' facilities into advanced learning spaces to meet users' evolving spatial and technological needs through repurposing existing spaces and construction of additional facilities.
- Invest in Library Faculty, Staff, and Student Assistants: Invest in a diverse library faculty, staff, and student assistants, committed to teaching, research, exemplary service, innovation, and communication to ensure a quality program.
- Efficiently Administer All Facets of the Library Program: The Dean of Libraries and the Library Administrative Council (LAC) will work to efficiently and effectively administer all facets of the library program to ensure excellence, innovation, accountability, and an environment of continuous improvement.